What to do if my 19 year old daughter who lives with us broke her leg while being towed behind my insured boat?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 19 year old daughter who lives with us broke her leg while being towed behind my insured boat?

She incurred thousands of dollars out of pocket as a result. My boat is covered up to 500k on my homeowners policy but AAA says they might not accept the claim since she lives with us. If AAA declines as a result, what are her options?

Asked on October 1, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

She may not really have any good options. She could potentally sue you, but unless you had coverage which would apply in this case, she would be (if she won) taking assets from you. It's worthwhile speaking with experienced personal injury counsel, who can evaluate all the facts of this case in detail, but it is very difficult when there may not be coverage and is no third party (i.e. not family) whom one could sue.

Also, have the attorney review your insurance policies--you do NOT have to take the insurer's word for it that this claim is not covered. If under the terms of the policy they should pay, then if they refuse to, you could sue them for breach of contract; this is an avenue worth exploring.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption