What legal options do I haveifmy employer is forcing me to pay for accidental damages or resign?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal options do I haveifmy employer is forcing me to pay for accidental damages or resign?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The good news is that typically an employer cannot take the money out of your check unless you agree or if the terms of your employment say that it can. For example, if there is a stated company policy, or an employment/union contract that provides for this. 

However, the bad news is that you can be given the choice of paying for the cost of the damaged item or being discharged. The reason is that most employment arrangements are such that an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes grounds for termination. So an employer can fire an employee not paying for a damaged item (or for any other reason or no reason at all).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption