If I received a ticket for “contributing to a minor” butthe case was dismissed, what to do if Inow have this on my criminal background?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a ticket for “contributing to a minor” butthe case was dismissed, what to do if Inow have this on my criminal background?

As a bar manager I received a ticket for “contributing to a minor”. The minor never stepped foot in the bar and the officer knew this, however a bar next to ours had issues with contributing to minors and to make this “fair” he still gave me (and the owner) a ticket. As stated the case was dismissed in court but I now have this on my criminal background check. I believe this is hindering me from getting a job as my report shows up as “red flagged”. What can I do?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The citation that you received but you never were convicted of (matter dismissed) really should not appear on your background check because you were never found guilty of the charge. In this country, one is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer law to see what can legally be done to have the reference to the citation against you which was dismissed removed from any background checks as to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption