Does a DUI in one state affect probation in another?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a DUI in one state affect probation in another?

I am on unsupervised probation in one state. I had permission to leave the state but was told to inform the court if I moved. I moved without informing them and got arrested for DUI back. That case is still pending and my probation ends in a couple of weeks. Will the state that issued my probation reject my probation and issue a warrant? Will it find out?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is a possibility that your law enforcement or the district attorney's office in your old state of residence could find out about the new charge against you which could effectively create more problems for you concerning your probation where there could be a new charge of violation of probation.

However, if you know nothing of any new charge against you, then most likely law enforcement in your former state does not know of your recent problems. I suggest that you have someone go down to the court house in your former state of residence where the prior charge arose and look through your file to see if there is a new charge in it pending for violation of your probation. There is always the possibility that your former state of residence could find out about the new DUI charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption