What could possibly happen to a minor that committed burglary on his first offense?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What could possibly happen to a minor that committed burglary on his first offense?

Well my boyfriend is currently in a juvenile detention center. He was arrested 2 days ago for burglary but was not caught inside the house and didn’t have possession of anything (others with him did). This is his first time ever getting arrested and remember that he is a minor. What could be the possible outcomes?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your boyfriend is a minor and the offense charged against him is the first time he has been charged with a crime, the worst case scenario is that he will be convicted of a felony (burglary) and sentenced to juvenile detention for a period ranging from 1 to 2 years, or up to the time he is 18 years of age (an adult). He may also be fined as well.

I suggest that he consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent him and to possibly minimize any sentence he might receive for being convicted of the crime of burlary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption