Father died without a will

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Father died without a will

My dad just died in a homicide case and he has not left a will. he owns a gas station and a few properties. what do we do to transfer everything into my mom, his wife’s name?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

what you should do if there are a lot of assets is contact a local attorney who specializes in this area of law. If your father died without a will his estate will have to go through probate. However with his wife being left the estate should be easily probated. You can do it without an attorney but truthfully i would not suggest it as sometimes navigating a court system is confusing and legal counsel always helps.

You may also want to prepare by getting everything in order figuring out what was left and make the eventual division as simple as possible

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption