If I got suspended from work but they would only tell me it was for a security breach, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got suspended from work but they would only tell me it was for a security breach, what are my rights?

I asked them to explain with no response I asked the store manager and he said he didn’t know.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you may not have many rights in this situation. That is unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that runs contrary to your employer's action, or such a suspension violates exciting company policy. Also, no form of actionable discrimination must be a factor in your treatment. The fact is that in an at will employment arrangement an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment; this includes how, when and why to suspend an employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption