Is it legal for a company to hire me and then upon being evicted ask me to relocate to continue working there?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a company to hire me and then upon being evicted ask me to relocate to continue working there?

I left my previous job and became an office manager at a new company. After one month, I learned that the rent had not been paid in the past 3 months and the company was now being evicted. The company plans to relocate to a much farther city in which I would not be able to commute to. I am now without a job and unable to return to my previous employer. Is this legal?

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is perfectly legal. Employment in this country is employment at will; among other things, that means that the employee has no rights to his or her job. Not only does that mean that the employer could terminate the employee at will (at any time, for any reason), but the employer could transfer or relocate the employee or his/her position at any time. It does not matter if the transfer or relocation means the employee will not be able to keep the job, or will then be left jobless; again, the employee has no rights to his/her job, and therefore no claims against the employer if he/she loses it, or if the job is changed in such a way that the employee can't keep it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption