When should I involve CPS during a divorce? There is a parenting plan in place with my wife, but I no longer feel confident with it.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When should I involve CPS during a divorce? There is a parenting plan in place with my wife, but I no longer feel confident with it.

The plan is only a few weeks old, she always has to change dates, times, etc… She has been drunk at the drop off for our daughter. She admitted it in writing too. I also have emails from her to friends stating she has to stay away from most hard liquor because it makes baby puke from the breast milk. I have text messages of her setting up deals buying marijuana. Getting minors drunk, etc…

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Family Law, California


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm assuming the parenting plan was approved by the court. If so, go back into court and seek a modification of the plan based on the behavior of your wife. She appears to be violating the terms of the plan.

If you have an attorney, consult with him/her regarding the parenting plan. Also, seek his/her advice regarding CPS (procedures, consequences, etc.).

Ultimately, you need to decide what is in the best interest of your child and how to foster a safe environment for your child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption