How do you obtain proof that you were served?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you obtain proof that you were served?

I have found that I have a Permanent Restraining Order against me from someone in
New Jersy, I live in Virginia. I never received anything telling me that told me
when this hearing was taking place and I would like to find out if there is an
affidavit of service on file with the court. How does one go about doing that?

Thank you

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Family Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the case was filed in VA, you can go to the court, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file. You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the proof of service and any other parts of the file you want.
If the case was filed in NJ, you can designate someone such as a process server to follow the above procedure.
You can find process servers online under attorney services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption