What would be some advice i would need to succeed in small claims court regarding an evicted tenant?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would be some advice i would need to succeed in small claims court regarding an evicted tenant?

I entered a signed and notarized lease to purchase contract with an individual for 2 years. I had to evict him after a year because he was always late on the payments and crashed my credit. He still owes me for 2 months, the amount of the taxes for the year, the repair cost for the central Heating/AC unit, and he didn’t have insurance on the house. All of this was stated as his responsibility in the contract. I would like to get the amount of the repairs and the 2 months payment from him which adds up to $4108. Small claims only reaches to $3500 but I could settle for that.

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue in traditional civil court to go for the total expenditures and costs and sue for court costs, as well. If you sue in small claims court, you would be losing at a minimum of $600.00 to start. Either way, you need to show evidence (hard evidence) to prove your case. These items about which you are suing him must have been in writing; otherwise they will not be considered within the parameters of the statute of frauds. You have to show or prove that he broke the heating/ac unit and that it was not simply a result of age of the unit or act of God (think power outage, flood, wind, etc). You need to prove he was to pay for the taxes for the year but keep in mind those taxes were in your name, so even if he were to pay you or pay the taxes directly, you had a responsibility to mitigate your damages by paying and then suing him on the back end to get reimbursed. You will most likely prevail on the back rent and the insurance issue would only come into play if he you are looking to get a ruling on a total breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption