What to do if my aunt wants to sign her house into my name because her health is not good?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my aunt wants to sign her house into my name because her health is not good?

She does not want to let her home go to anyone else but me. What should we do?

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your aunt wants to transfer legal title to her home into your name you need to have her consult with an attorney experienced in real estate matters and title transfer so as to prevent any appearance of impropriety on your part. You should not consult with the attorney at all. Rather your aunt should meet with the attorney all by herself.

The attorney consulted could have ideas as to placing the property in trust where you could end up owning it upon her passing so as to receive a benefit in the property's stepped up basis upon her passing or there could be yearly fractionalized interests in the property to you where she retains a life estate in it.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption