Separation date.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Separation date.

On 12/05 I was asked for a divorce. We stayed together, but separate, until 3/06 for financial reasons when I moved to another city. I moved back in after 2 years for financial reasons (1/08). On 2/08 we agreed to try again without success deciding to go our way 9/08. We lived together for financial reasons until 2/09. Can I use 12/05 as separation date?

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Family Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I very much doubt that you can claim separation before the last time you moved out.  I'm not a California attorney, but every divorce law I've ever looked at, that allows separation for a time as grounds for divorce, requires the time period to be continuous.  There may be other grounds for divorce that you might consider, depending on the unique facts of your case, and you should go over these with an attorney in your area.  One place to find qualified lawyers is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption