Question on how to deal with potential adverse possession.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Question on how to deal with potential adverse possession.

One of the homeowners in our HOA is maintaining some of the common ground adjacent to his property that belongs to the HOA. If the HOA give him permission to continue can we avoid his claiming of the land under adverse possession?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Delaware attorney, but in most states, by having the HOA expressly (in writing) give the homeowner permission to do this, without prejudice to the HOA's ownership, it eliminates an adverse possession claim.  The law in most places requires adverse possession to be "hostile", asserting a claim to sole possession against all others, and the letter would eliminate that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption