What to do if we prepaid in full for a $5500 water filtration system that we never received?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we prepaid in full for a $5500 water filtration system that we never received?

It was for a whole house water filtration system. We paid in full 5 years ago. They would not leave the filtration tanks with us saying that they would do the installation. We contacted them several times to ensure we could still install. This was a vacation home and we weren’t there much. We tried to have them install 3 years ago but they were a no show.Flash forward. We finally got them to come out and he said that they have discontinued the system we paid for and so wants to charge us an additional $3000 for the new system. Can we get any portion of our money back for the old system?

Asked on September 6, 2019 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they failed to honor the contract, or breached it, by not providing the system they contracted to provide; their breach entitles you to recover the money you had paid them. If they will not voluntarily repay, you could sue them for the money, based on breach of contract. They cannot keep your money without providing what they agreed to provide, or alter the terms to make you pay more for something else.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption