What are my rights regarding work done on a home that I sold?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding work done on a home that I sold?

I had services under a repair addendum that requested a licensed contractor to

repair issues in the home. After the sale of the home, I found out that one of the contractors who said they were licensed, is in fact not licensed. Is my contract defaulted? Could the new owners sue me for the service as the previous owner after a month of sale?

Asked on October 2, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, yes; you could  potentially be sued for breach of contract. If the repairs had to be done by a licensed contract and this one was not licensed, you violated the terms of the agreement by having a unlicensed contractor do the work. You could be sued for the cost to have the work redone or corrected by a licensed contractor. In turn could likely sue the unlicensed contracor for any amounts you are required to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption