Owner financed real property sale

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Owner financed real property sale

I bought a campground with 20 down and 80 owner financed. I have made all payments but the prior owner wants to foreclose due to the property not being kept to his standards. The note states the property will be kept in good conditions. We have great reviews and higher gross and net income. Is the burden of proof on them. The other thing is they are taking the position that they expect us to fail. Normally you should not loan money if you expect a default.

Asked on June 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if they want to try to foreclose due to a stipulation or term in the note like the one you describe, they would have to prove that is the case, and based on what you write, it appears unlikely they could do so. Their expectations are irrelevant: all that matters is what the note says--i.e. what your obligations are; what their rights are--and whether you have provably violated any obligations giving them a right to foreclose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption