Need a Driveway Easement Florida Orange County

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need a Driveway Easement Florida Orange County


I recently acquired a landlocked, small property.

For me to access the property, I need a driveway to access it
from another persons’ property.

It is located in Orange county, Florida.

Do I have to ask the owner of the ‘other’ land for me access the property? If so, where would I find a form? and if the owner does NOT want to give me an easement, what are my alternatives??

Thank you

Asked on June 18, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you need their permission or a court order--otherwise, if you use their driveway, you are trespassing and could be charged. If they won't grant permission voluntarily, you would need to file a lawsuit in chancercy court (a part or division of county court) asking the court to grant an easement because your property is landlocked and there is no other way to access it. Such a suit can be complex and expensive; consult with a real estate attorney about bringing it, what you will need to prove your case, etc., and strongly consider letting the attorney bring the case for you. Be before doing that, ask the other landlowner--this is best resolved without litigation. Perhaps you can offer to pay an annual access fee, or to pay maintenance costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption