What to do if my son was charged with failure to render aid in a traffic accident and can’t afford a lawyer?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son was charged with failure to render aid in a traffic accident and can’t afford a lawyer?

Can I represent him in court? I am also a witness and can attest to the fact that he was with me at the time. Can I also take the stand as a witness? My son also has learning disabilities. 

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If a person is chargedwith a criminal offense and can not afford an attorney then seek to have counsel appointed or to go to legal aid for help. I would not suggest representing him and you really could not and be a witness at the same time.

Did he fail to stop and render aid? So then is could be classified as a "hit and run?"  This is serious.  Not all learning disabilities effect the ability of a party to know right from wrong so the degree and how it effects the matter can best be judged by an attorney.  Find help as soon as you can.  He or she will best be able to tell you your options here and the ramifications. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption