If Igot a structured settlement from an auto accident when I was 15 and I’m now 29, how do I find out what company owes me the settlement?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Igot a structured settlement from an auto accident when I was 15 and I’m now 29, how do I find out what company owes me the settlement?

I got a check when I was 18, 21, and 25. I am supposed to get the final one at 30. It has been sold since my last check but I don’t know to who. I’ve contacted the last agency and they have no record of ever owning my settlement. I have the check stub and paperwork from them.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Accident Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Ok so if you have the stub and paperwork from them copy it and send it to them by certified mail indicating that you wish to know the status of the annuity.  But do not just send it off addressed to no one.  Call and get the name of a Supervisor - last and first name - and his or her mailing address so that it will go directly to him or her.  Then follow up with a call in about 7 days after the mailing.  Some entity set up the structured settlement.  Contact them as well.  And as a last resort contact your old attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption