What exactly is a deed of trust?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What exactly is a deed of trust?

My husband is going to buy a house. I would sign a deed of trust for the bank. Does it mean that if one day my husband is not able to pay is loan, the bank can ask me to pay? We got married in France and we have a wedding contract of seperate properties. Can my husband buy anything house, company on his own?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Washington is a community property state.  Generally, you are responsible for the debts of your husband even if you name isn't on them.  Also, you would have a right to the equity in the home purchased during marraige even if your name isn't on the property. Now, you have a wedding contract creating separate properties, but that may only be valid for property you had coming into the marriage.  Going forward, Washington law would probably apply.  Even if the house was your husband separate property, you would most likely still be liable for the debt under Washington law. 

The only real difference between having your name on the property and not having your name on the property is that your individual creditors can attack the asset (the home) only if your name is on it. 

The bank can ask you to pay whether or not your name is on the loan, because you are married. 

I am a little confused at why you are so concerned with being asked to pay.  Are you planning on your husband defaulting? If you don't want to share money and debt you shouldn't really be married. 

If you are concerned I would contact a local family law attorney, because I am in CA and the rules are slightly different. In addition it is somewhat unclear what effect your wedding contract would have on the division of property and debt in Washington state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption