If I would like to move out of state and my daughter’s father won’t let me leave, what can I do for us to be legally able to move?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I would like to move out of state and my daughter’s father won’t let me leave, what can I do for us to be legally able to move?

He has no court agreement on custody or visitation. I briefly lost custody of my kids 5 years ago and when I got them back the papers say I have temporary custody. I got temporary sole custody of my son in my divorce to his father. My daughters father and I agreed to weekends and the summers. However, he doesn’t take her every weekend and she has been between me and him all summer because he is living at different peoples house. We don’t have child support set up either. He doesn’t give me any money.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have to go to court and request sole custody related to moving out of state.  If you move out of state before getting permission--it can be considered kidnapping.  Get a local attorney to represent you.  You should request child support as a part of the same case. 

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption