What can I do about re-payment for past health insurance premiums?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about re-payment for past health insurance premiums?

I’ve been working for this company for a little over 3 years. I have insurance through them and it was supposed to be taken out my check. My job didn’t take the money out for 3 years and now they expect me to pay back over $18,000 in payments of $150 a pay period. I don’t feel its fair because it was out of my power because I was thinking it was coming out of my check. Can you please tell me if I have a case?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If they in fact made payments by mistake on your behalf which you were supposed to make, they are entitled to recover that money from you. A mistake does not give you the right to keep the money. If you do not agree to a payment plan, they could sue you for the money and potentially get it much more quickly. $150 a pay period is presumably $300 a month. At that rate, it will take 60 months, or five years, to repay the full amount. That is actually  a very generour payment plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption