Canmy wifeget reimbursed formoving expenses in a divorce settlement?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canmy wifeget reimbursed formoving expenses in a divorce settlement?

She asked me to marry her; we honeymooned in Vegas. I moved from my home in PA to WA. Less than 6 months into the marriage she filed for divorce and wants to recoup half of the moving expenses that she incurred after marriage, as well as half of the honeymoon expenses (about $4000 total). I have paid many household expenses during this time. Will there be a accounting for this?

Asked on April 9, 2011 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry that things did not work out.  Generally speaking, money earned during a marriage is considered to be "marital income" no matter who earned it.  And paying the household expenses are or were a responsibility of both of you.  If she paid for the expenses and the honeymoon with savings that were considered separate property then maybe she may have an argument here.  But more information is going to be needed here and since the marriage was so short in duration I have to say that I am really not sure that a Judge will look kindly on your battling over the issue and rather you should try and sit down and come to some agreement between you on the matter.  Get some legal advice and some help in sorting this out amicably.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption