If my parents brought me to the US illegallywhen I was a baby, is there a chance for me to become legal?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents brought me to the US illegallywhen I was a baby, is there a chance for me to become legal?

I am 17 years old now and I am practically an American because I’ve lived here all my life. Is there’s any hope for me?

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Immigration Law, New York


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would need to leave the US before you turn 18 as after that time you will start accruing unlawful presence time and will not be eligible for any changes of status or adjustment of status within the US.  IF you leave before you turn 18 and then return, on a visa or get petitioned by a qualifying relative or try for a student visa, you have your whole life in front of you full of possibilities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption