If I filed a joint I 751 application but am now separated but not divorced, what should I do?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filed a joint I 751 application but am now separated but not divorced, what should I do?

I just filed jointly with my legal husband but we are currently separated but not divorced. I feel bad about this having an impact on his legal status but I don’t want to get myself in trouble either. What should I do? I have no plans on getting back together with him and I am even planning to go to the county office to apply for food stamps, medical, and cash aid/welfare on behalf of my daughter and I. Will this have any effect on his pending I 751 application or could he still be approved if he gets lucky if his application ends up not requiring an interview?

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your husband can prove that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination, then he can get the conditional status removed.  However, if you are no longer in a bona fide marriage, you cannot file jointly and if he is called in for an interview, he will be denied and/or told to refile once he is legally divorced

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption