If I have a B1/B2 visa multiple entries/5 years, can I work for my non-U.S. company casually/remotely while in U.S. for a year?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a B1/B2 visa multiple entries/5 years, can I work for my non-U.S. company casually/remotely while in U.S. for a year?

I can show proof of funds to support myself for the whole year regardless but
would like to keep working for my Australian company a couple of days per
week casually. I would still be paying tax in Australia and be paid in Australian
currency under my current contract. I plan to travel around U.S. with my family in
an RV and work remotely to assist the cost. Would I just need a letter from my
employer stating while I am visiting the U.S. for the primary purpose of leisure, I
will however be continuing to do some casual ‘home’ work under my current
contract, for my non-U.S. employer remotely? Does Uncle Sam have a problem
with me not paying tax in U.S. or this arrangement? Will I be pulled up by US
Immigration at border and is my company at any risk by doing this?

Asked on January 13, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

YOu are not going to be admitted to the US in B-1/B-2 status for a year.  6 months is the maximum period of authorized stay and even that is discretionary with the port of entry officer, based on the interview conducted at the time of entry as to what the purpose of your entry is.  B-1/B-2 is for vacation , tourist type of travel and it is not likely that you will be granted the entire 6 months stay for such reasons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption