If I was served with divorce papers and it was stated that I don’t have to showup to court, is it advisable to do so anyway?

UPDATED: May 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was served with divorce papers and it was stated that I don’t have to showup to court, is it advisable to do so anyway?

The guy I was married to said his mother is judgmental. So we got married first then told her later. We moved in together but I could tell that his mother never really liked me. Before we got married I used to go see him when his mother was not around. So we got an apartment and moved in. Less than 2 weeks later, his mother convinced him to break the lease without my consent. He kept calling and texting me stating that he loved me and that he thought we were going to grow old together.

Asked on May 29, 2011 under Family Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable for you to appear at the hearing in order to present your side as most likely arguments will be presented against you.  You might also want to file a declaration under penalty of perjury with the court prior to the hearing setting forth the facts.  Check with the court to comply with the filing deadline prior to the hearing in order to timely file your declaration.  You will also need to attach a proof of service to your declaration.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing to your ex-husband.  You can use a court form or you can write your own.  If you write your own proof of service, it just says that you are over 18 and the attached documents was/were sent via first class mail unless specified otherwise to ___________ (your ex-husband's name and address) on _____________ (date).  The date you mail it should be the same date as the date you sign and date  the proof of service under penalty of perjury (at the bottom of the form) and the same date you file it with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption