How to get appointed to administer an estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get appointed to administer an estate?

I was assisting an uncle when he was hospitalized. He has since died without a will. He was unmarried without children and his siblings want me to handle his affairs. I need to clear and clean his rented apartment by the end of January and also see to his small estate issues. Where do I start? I receive Social Security benefits and cannot afford to pay a lawyer.

Asked on January 10, 2019 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Contact the probate court, explain your relationship, and state you want to be appointed to the role. If none of the "closer" relatives (e.g. his children or his siblings, who are all a degree "closer" to him in relationship than you are) object, the court will very likely appoint you. The clerk's office can provide or point you to instructions on how to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption