Can my soon to be ex-wife use pictures of me and my current girlfriend against me in court?

UPDATED: May 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my soon to be ex-wife use pictures of me and my current girlfriend against me in court?

My wife and I are getting a divorce. We have a child together. I recently met someone else and my soon to be ex-wife got a hold of some pictures of me and my current girlfriend. Can she use them and what are the possible ramifications if she does? I am the one filing for divorce.

Asked on May 30, 2011 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The question I think that you are really asking is if this is considered adultery will it effect the issues in my marriage, correct?  The answer is generally no, adultery does not in and of itself have an effect on equiatble distribution - dividing the assets of the marriage.   The court does not care why your marriage failed or what is going on between you once you filed unless it effects your assets in some way (like you bought your girlfriend a 10 carat ring with your joint savings) or if it has an adverse effect on your child. The fact that this all happened post filing for divorce is a plus in these circumstances.  I would consult with your lawyer here as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption