I unknowingly scraped a parked and left the scene. Someone saw the incident, reported it. I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I unknowingly scraped a parked and left the scene. Someone saw the incident, reported it. I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

I have already submitted my insurance information to repair damage to the person’s car. after an officer contacted me, I found paint on my bumper, so I believe I did it. With my citation, should I plead guilty or no contest to the charge? I believe I scraped the car, but honestly did not know I did it. My main concern is that I don’t want my license to be suspended, especially since I am willing to fix damages. Could my license be suspended for this or will I more likely receive points on my license. This took place in Ohio.

Asked on April 21, 2009 under Accident Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

IF you plead guilty or are convicted of leaving the scene of an accident -- which is a criminal type offense or violation -- you're subject to all the penalties provided under your state's laws. I am not an Ohio lawyer, but if Ohio provides for a suspension of a license, that could be the result. It may also provide for a possible jail sentence or fine and also brand you as a criminal.

The criminal laws operate differently from the civil laws. The state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you knew there was an accident and left. The prosecutors have great discretion on whether to bring charges or not.

If you are very believable and have a clean record, you may be able to convince a jury or judge you are innocent. If you're less than believable and/or have any record, that may be hard.

This is really a criminal defense issue, and as I don't know how serious it may be or what the full consequences may be, it  probably pays to spend a few hundred dollars to get a criminal lawyer's advice and possibly avoid a record. Usually a lawyer can get charges like these reduced or dropped if it is a first offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption