Subpoena to appear at a law office to give testimony on behalf of the claimant.

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Subpoena to appear at a law office to give testimony on behalf of the claimant.

I was involved in an auto accident. I have a subpoena to appear at a law office of the claimant that has just won a civil case against me. my criminal case is still pending do I have to go and do I have to talk?

Asked on April 21, 2009 under Accident Law, Oregon


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes you should appear because a subpena is a legal document  which essentially is saying you must appear. You can obviously hire yourself an attorney to go with you if that would make you more comfortable but you will have to go.

Failure to appear as required by the subpena can be punished as contempt of court if it appears the absence was intentional or without cause. You would have to ask a local attorney about the specifics and I advise calling a local attorney to run this all by them. Either they can attend with you or advise you of the specific ramifications of failing to appear.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption