What to do if I need a restraining order but a child is involved?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need a restraining order but a child is involved?

My fiance and I are trying acquire a restraining order for her ex. He has been driving by our home and calling us almost non-stop during the early morning hours (1-3 am). We were told by a friend that since she has a child with her ex, it would be very difficult to get the restraining order. What must be done to stop this madness and get the restraining order?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Obtaining a restraining order is not an easy task under any situation and I can see that it may be problematic when there is a child involved and visitation schedule.  There may have to be change on all fronts here in order to acquire the desired result.  I would start by consulting with an attorney about filing harassment charges.  You are going to have to prove it is him calling (sounds simple but maybe not).  You may be able to obtain a restraining order out of the proceeding.  Then you may have to tackle the issue of his visitation and how this reflects on his being a Father.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption