What options doI have for my son and I, if my wife has left us?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options doI have for my son and I, if my wife has left us?

She left 2 months agoto be with her daughter who was having a baby this month. She left with the agreement that she would come home shortly after the baby was born but now she refuses to come home period.

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  It must be very difficult for you and for your son.  Does your wife want a separation or a divorce?  I assume that you want to establish some ground rules, so to speak, so that you have some type of agreement to go by.  If she will not enter in to an agreement voluntarily then I would consider speaking with an attorney in your area to file for a legal separation (if your state permits) or for a divorce.  You want to establish temporary custody of your son and sole use and occupancy of the marital home so that you can change the locks, etc., if that is what you so choose.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption