What happens if I stop paying rent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I stop paying rent?

I have a lease with no-break lease fee and it’s been 2 months with no new

tenants taking over. The total left on the lease is valued at $7,750. What happens if I quit paying?

Asked on March 11, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can be evicted for nonpayment.
2) The landlord can sue you for the full remaining value of, or payments due under the lease, subject only to the following:
a) the landlord must make reasonable efforts to re-rent the space--if he/she does not, that will reduce what the court would give him/her;
b) if somoene rerents it before the lease term is done, the landord can only get money equal to the rent, etc. due from you between when you stopped paying and when the new tenant took over; 
c) if no one re-rents *and* the case gets to trial very fast, before your lease term is done, the landlord can't get rent for any periods beyond the trial date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption