If I fired an employee but she never returned the work shirt I supplied her, how can I get it now?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I fired an employee but she never returned the work shirt I supplied her, how can I get it now?

She wears it and she tells people in her social media that she works in a daycare, wearing my business shirt. Is there something legal I could do so she returns the shirt and not wear it? I have tried to ask for the shirt back but she never returned it.

Asked on January 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get it back from her would be to seek a court order by filing a lawsuit (in regular county court; you can't get court orders like this in small claims) requiring her to cease wearing the shirt and cease telling people or suggesting that she works for you. This could be  a  somewhat pricey proposition, since for this sort of lawsuit (one for a court order, not monetary compensation), you should have an attorney assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption