If I’m looking to do a deed in lieu on my house, do I have to give them my P&L to get them to do a deed in lieu?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m looking to do a deed in lieu on my house, do I have to give them my P&L to get them to do a deed in lieu?

I also am self-employed and have a LLC business. The mortgage company is asking for my current P&L. I have been told that I don’t have to comply if I am an LLC.

Asked on September 9, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have to give it to them if they want it: it is purely voluntary on their part to agree to do a deed in lieu; therefore, since it is voluntary, they are free to put any requirements on applying for or being considered for it that they want, such that you provide a P&L. They undoubtedly want to see if *should* be able to pay the mortgage, in which case they will likely refuse, or if a deed in lieu is realistically the best they can expect, in which case they may agree to it. If you don't give them the data they want, they don't need to even think about this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption