Can my landlord run a buisness out of an empty room in the house I’m renting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord run a buisness out of an empty room in the house I’m renting?

My fiancee and I rent a house in richmond and now our landlord has taken one of the empty rooms that is connected to our own as a business. Phones are ringing and it feels like we have no privacy is that legal?

Asked on September 9, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Did you rent that room? If so it's part of your rental; then your landlord has no right to use it: only the tenants have the right to use, possess, occupy, etc. any part of the space they rent. So if it's part of the area you are renting, then even if you are not making use of it, your landlord may not use it. 
But if it not part of your rental, your landlord may use it for anything that is legal (e.g. not criminal, not against loaning): you cannot restrict a property owner, including your landlord, in his/her use of his/her property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption