What employee rights are available to those working an at-will job?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What employee rights are available to those working an at-will job?

Asked on August 7, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most jobs in this country are "at will". Meaning, an employer can terminate an employee pretty much for any reason as long as the reason is not disciminatory based upon age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sex (being male or female) and the like.

Employees in an "at will" job are entitled mandatory breaks, decent working conditions, decent tools and machinery to work with, a healthy non-hostile working environment with safe working conditions. Harassment, abuse and substandard working condtions are not allowed and are monitored by adminstrative agencies such as occupational health and safety.

Perhaps contacting your local labor department as to additional questions you might have unanswered regarding employee rights might be helpful concerning your inquiry.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption