How do I proceed with a modification of a custody/visitation order made over 2 years ago?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I proceed with a modification of a custody/visitation order made over 2 years ago?

I went to try to modify a current custody/visitation order that was made over two years ago and was told that case has expired. This case started out as a dissolution of marriage with no minor children filed 7 years ago. Then 3 years later we had a child and so started the custody issues, a TRO that was later dismissed, and the hubby either on active parole or serving a extensive prison sentence which he is currently serving 11 years 4 month for an armed robbery conviction. So now that the case is expired what happens to the orders made over 2 years ago are those also null and void? What do I need to do in order to modify current orders.

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whatever final judgment/order was made will still be in place.  Once a case is finished...and you later want to amend those orders, you have to file a new lawsuit.  The only difference really is fees.   You will need to file the following forms: FL-330, FL-300, FL-310, FL-150, FL-155, FL-160.

State what has changed in the last 2 years that would mandate an amendment to the original order.

Be prepared to face the father in court.  Under the penal code, fathers in prison may get transfered to local jails to respond to custody proceedings.

I am not really sure why you would want to change the custody order considering the fact that father is not going to be able to act on his rights for over 11 years.  You may want an attorney to review your case in more depth to ensure that filing is in your best interest.

Best of luck.

If your case is near Ventura County, feel free to contact me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption