If I don’t want my ex-husband to pay child support, will I be required by law to take his child support?

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I don’t want my ex-husband to pay child support, will I be required by law to take his child support?

I make quite a bit more than he does and he is very active in their lives.

Asked on November 23, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ohio does have provisions where the parties can agree to waive child support obligations or deviate outside of the usual child support guidelines.  You could actually request a waiver of his obligation to pay.  However, the final decision will be up to the judge.  If the judge finds that the children have adequate support, the judge can approve the agreement.  If the court has a concern that, now or later, the children court or would be in need of support, the court could still order an obligation.

Even though it's nice that you are really taking into consideration the disparity of income, you may want to just agree to a lower amount, rather than a complete waiver-- that way if you do need the child support later, it will be easier to seek a modification of the obligation.

Another option, especially if he wants to be involved in the support of the kids, is for you to accept the payments, but instead of just burning up the funds on new toys or clothes, place the funds into an account for their college education.  This is a great opportunity for the the father to contribute to the long term needs of the children. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption