If I’m being evicted and my landlords are lying on documents about how much the rent is, what should I do?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m being evicted and my landlords are lying on documents about how much the rent is, what should I do?

They are stating that my rent is $450 which is not true and that I owe $900, plus damages done to other apartments in the building. I never signed a lease and all the info was done through a third party. I do have a witness also have payment info that shows I was paying $425. My income is low. What should I seek legal representation or fight it myself?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you can afford legal representation concerning the landlord's claim against you, you can hire one. However, given the hourly rate for an attorney versus what the dollar amount at issue is from what you have written, hiring an attoney to attend the tiral may not be cost efficient.

As to what your actual rental was per month, if you have an copies of cancelled checks, money orders or receipts, use these documents to establish what the actual rental amount was. I would also have your witness appear at court to support your defenses.

If you believe that the landlord's claims against you have no merit, then you should defend yourself in the proceeding against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption