Can an officer pull over and ticket 2 motorcycles at once?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an officer pull over and ticket 2 motorcycles at once?

I was pulled over and my husband pulled over to be with me. Then we both got tickets issued to us – mine was substantially higher than my husband’s. The officer said he clocked both of us and I was faster. I just want to make sure that’s possible. I was thinking of filing for an FOIA to see what device he used. Great last day of vacation on our way back to Canada

Asked on March 26, 2016 under General Practice, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal: an officer may pull over any number of vehicles at once and issue all of them tickets, and this is not uncommon if several vehicles are traveling together or in a convoy. As you point out, it does rasie some factual issues about the accuracy of the readings, if he was tracking several vehicles at once; that said in my experience, the courts *always* believe the officer and are unlikely to not accept the speed reading he gives--i.e. it is very unlikely that you'd win.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption