My rights if my boyfriend of 6 years has unceremoniously told me to get out of his home?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My rights if my boyfriend of 6 years has unceremoniously told me to get out of his home?

He takes care of our finances and I don’t work. Nothing is in my name. We have been in a terrible fight. He has now taken all of the keys to the home, plus the keys to the 2 cars that we share and he owns. Additionally, he locked all of the rooms with the exception of the room I am in and one or 2 other rooms, (the main area kitchen, den, livingroom) that he cannot lock. He told me to leave and get my suitcases out. We have lived together almost a year. What are my rights in this situation?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems as though you are a tenant of your boyfriend on an oral month to monthlease in his home. Under the law, he is required to give you 30 days written notice to vacate the premises.

Since matters are not too good for you there, I recommend that you might consider looking to stay with a friend as opposed to the place you presently are at. Possibly you and your boyfriend may resolve the situation for the current living arrangement where it once was. However, from what you have written, I suggest that you consider start packing to move out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption