Have I received wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Have I received wrongful termination?

I have been working for a national retail chain for nearly a year now and was recently fired. Accordingly to management it was for accumulation of tardees or absences. There was a time about 5 months ago where I was going through something and was going to have to leave the store due to relocation. I was gone for only a day and asked to come back to work when I found out I’d actually be staying in the area. Since then, besides serious health issues, I have improved on attendance and even recently received my dollar raise. Until I had to call out one day because I had contracted a stomach virus which left me unable to do anything. I went back to work the next day and was fired.

Asked on February 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless your termination constituted some form of legally actionable discrimination or violated the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, then it was legal. The fact is that most employment is "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. Accordingly, an employee can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption