What are my options in response to my former boss holding paycheck?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options in response to my former boss holding paycheck?

He told me that he wanted to speak to me the next day. The following day he fires me saying that someone is stealing money so he’s letting me go and still doesn’t give my paycheck. The following day I went to get my paycheck again but he withheld the amount he claims that was stolen, several hundred dollars. He has no evidence And an employee heard the boss say he knew I wasn’t stealing and I wasn’t, I needed my job. Now I have many bills past due, utilities at risk of being cut off and he’s falsely accused me of stealing.

Asked on February 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your former employer has violated the law. The fact is that you must be paid for all time worked. If your ex-employer believes that you stol, then it can take seperate action regarding the alleged theft. At this point, you can file a wage claim with your state's department of labor and/or sue your employer in small claims court for all amounts owed you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption