H1B switching employers

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

H1B switching employers

I am leaving my previous employer and joining a new company. I gave my 2 wks
notice for resignation to my ex employer

He is not accepting my resignation and is asking me to extend for another two
weeks. I have already set a joining date with my new company. Now my ex
employer owes me wages . What should I do if he doesn’t pay up? I am on an H1b

Asked on December 6, 2017 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He cannot really ask you to extend if you have already given your notice.  You can stop working if he does not pay you for the work you have performed and you can file a complaint with the Department of Labor wage division and tell the employer that you intend to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption