What can we do if tan insurer is charging me an inflated amount for home repair?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if tan insurer is charging me an inflated amount for home repair?

My condo unit was leaking and my HOA checked my unit and told me that my bath tub had to be replaced. We followed the advice and completed all the repairs promptly. We contacted the unit below to review the damage and the owner told us, in writing, that the damage was not that serious and we had to probably help to pay for ceiling damage and sheet rock replacement and painting. Now, 2 months later, we are getting a call from the insurer that we owe $10,000 for repairs. We are speechless and don’t know what to do.

Asked on January 26, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your bathtub leaked, you would be responsible for the damage it did to another's unit if you were in any way at fault (e.g. you overfilled it; you didn't pay attention to or fix small leaks or cracks until they become bad; you stopped up the drain somehow; etc.). However, you would not be liable if you were not in some way at least partially at fault--e.g. if the leak were hidden in the plumbing below the tub and you did not cause it somehow, so you had no way to know it was leaking and no reason to take action. The mere fact that the damage originated from your unit does not by itself make you liable--that's why people have insurance after all: to pay for losses or costs when there is no one at fault to recover compensation from.
If you believe you were not at fault, you could refuse to pay and let the insurer sue you, if you should choose to: there is no obligation to pay unless and until they sue you and win. To recover money from you, they would have to prove to the court that you were in some way at fault for the leak. 
If you believe you were at fault, or at least are willing to take some responsibility, but believe (as you do) that the costs are excessive, ask the insurer for documentation of the costs and at the same time, try to get some quotes or estimates from other contractors as to what they would charge. The insurer is not allowed to pass on excessive costs just because they hope to get it from someone else; they are only allowed to recover the reasonable costs. If the costs, on further examination appear unreasonable, you can try to negotiate to an amount you'd be willing to pay; if they refuse to do so and hold out for the entire amount, you could again refuse to pay and let them sue you. They'd have to prove in court that all the cost were the result of the leak (i.e. they didn't do ther repairs or updates not related to the leak) and that the costs were reasonable, and should only be able to get a court to order you to pay the reasonable costs provably related to or due to the leak.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption