Girlfriend likely at fault in accident and car is in my name – what’s my liability?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Girlfriend likely at fault in accident and car is in my name – what’s my liability?

I bought a car for my girlfriend to use we don’t live together. The car is
titled in my name but the insurance policy is in her name and I am listed as
additionally insured. She was involved in an accident and likely at fault. She
has the minimum state coverage of 25k. No injuries but damage will likely
exceed that amount. She has no assets but I do and I’m trying to figure out what
my liability in this situation is and whether or not it’s likely that I will be
sued. I’m in Georgia. Thanks.

Asked on August 1, 2019 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since you are the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the accident.
If the case is not settled with your girlfriend's insurance, both you and she could be sued for negligence for the property damage (cost of repairs) to the vehicle not at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption