If a vehicle is insured but the driver isn’t on the policy, is an accident claim still covered?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a vehicle is insured but the driver isn’t on the policy, is an accident claim still covered?

I was driving my fiancee’s vehicle and got into an accident. Her insurance is up to date. Her vehicle was fine, but the other party’s vehicle was damaged. Is the other party’s claim still covered?

Asked on August 1, 2019 under Accident Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in the accident, your fiancee's insurance company will deny the other party's claim because you are not on her policy. Therefore, the insurance company will claim that you are an unauthorized driver. 
Your fiancee is liable for the accident because she is the registered owner of the vehicle. If her insurance company denies the claim of the party not at fault in the accident, she will be sued by that party for property damage (cost of repairs to the vehicle) and personal injury claims of the occupants of that vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption